Monday, May 23, 2011

Best Shot at Dead Squirrel Cake

Last week a friend asked me,  "Can you decorate a cake with a dead squirrel?" 
"Well, I can give it my best shot," I replied. 

With every cake there is an opportunity to try a new technique.  Since I'm a bit shaky on my freehand drawing skills, I decided to try the technique that my former Baskin Robins cake decorating roommate taught me.  It's officially called the BCT, Butter Cream Transfer.

So I found a graphic from online of a dead squirrel that I could trace.  You wouldn't believe it, but Googling a dead squirrel results in an abundance of image results.  Here's what I chose:
Then I placed wax paper over the image and traced it's outline with black frosting.  I filled in the outlines with brown frosting to make it look more squirrel-like, froze it in the freezer for 2 1/2 hours and then peeled back the wax paper to apply the image to the cake.  Of course it comes out as the inverse of the original image.

Why a dead squirrel cake you ask?  Well my friend's office was shutting down their outdated version of squirrel email and they wanted to celebrate the arrival of a much better system.  I can hear them shouting now, "Death to the squirrel!"

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Successful frosting transfer! :D That looks so funny (in a good way, I promise!).

    ReplyDelete